Skip to Main Content



The following information about renting is provided by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

How can I get into HUD housing? 
HUD doesn't actually own rental housing. We do provide funding to support several rental assistance programs. Read all about them in our "Renter's Kit".

I'm a senior citizen on a fixed income, how can HUD help me keep my home, find low-cost housing, or assisted living?
Income limits for housing assistance programs (see those for North Carolina here) are updated each year. The HOME program income limits are different from the limits for the other rental assistance programs. We have lots of information about living choices for senior citizens. HUD-approved housing counseling agencies can help you think through your options. Contact one near you.

How can I apply for Section 8?
To apply for public housing or Housing Choice (Section 8) vouchers, you will need to visit your local public housing authority. Many have long waiting lists, so you may want to apply at more than one public housing authority.

I have a Section 8 voucher, and I'm moving to another city. Can I take my voucher with me?
Yes, that is possible. But you'll need to contact both your current and your future public housing authority to work out the details.

Where can I find someone who will let me use my voucher to rent a place to live?
Your public housing authority should have a list of landlords who are willing to take Housing Choice vouchers.

I'd like to rent my home to a Section 8 tenant. How can I do that?
You'll need to contact your local public housing agency to find out how to rent to Section 8 tenants in your area.

I have a physical disability. What kind of housing help does HUD offer?
We offer housing choices for people with disabilities, including information on subsidized apartments and independent living centers. You also may want to contact one of the HUD-approved housing counseling agencies in your area.